Miller Avenue School

Miller Avenue is a Year 0 – 8 school situated in park like grounds in the middle of the rural town of Paeroa. Paeroa is a well established town with a strong historical context and supportive community. It features a traditionally strong Maori community with several Marae that host regional and national events, as well as those for local iwi.

The school was opened on the 3rd February 1958 with a staff of five teachers and a commencing roll of 184. Since then it has continued to reflect the growth of Paeroa itself with the roll fluctuating over the years and of late being on an increase.

It is well resourced with many facilities being added, over the years including a large hall, technology rooms, swimming pool, spacious library, extensive playgrounds and modern computer suite.

The school provides a stimulating learning environment which caters for all learners’ needs. Teachers, students and the Board of Trustees hold high expectations for student achievement and there has been a steady rise in achievement across the whole school because of this. There is a pleasant mix of traditional and modern in  the school  extra curricular  activities, classroom teaching, values and skills. Students are encouraged to participate in their community and join some of the many community groups.

Students attending the school come from a range of backgrounds with an equal mix of Maori and European students. There are very small numbers from other ethnic backgrounds and fee paying students at times.

The school is inclusive of difference. Extensive resources are allocated to students with learning and behaviour needs. Gifted and talented students are also catered for. It is a Health Promoting School, an Energize school and has achieved well in the areas of sports, fitness and the percentage of students involved in out of school organizations. These activities are enhanced by a team of highly motivated teachers, support staff and community volunteers.

On site we have a number of services which cater for  a cluster of schools. These are: RTLB, RTLit, and Social Worker in Schools. After school a "Homework Club” for students operates four nights a week. Adult learning is also encouraged with many organisations using the school’s hall and other facilities. The school campus is therefore a busy, stimulating, learning community.

The school has a full sport and Education Outside the Classroom programme with opportunities for students who excel, as well as those who want to participate. A specialist music teacher is employed, the school choir is active and the Arts feature at assemblies and community events.

The school provides a stimulating, safe learning environment for students. The contribution of parents and community is always appreciated . An enthusiastic and hardworking Board of Trustees is supported by parent groups who  fund and support school events and generally engage with the school, informing school policy and practice.